Friday, May 1, 2009

Bent Lamination for Table Skirts, Part 3

After the bent lamination are fully cured, I flattened one edge on the jointer. Then, using a zero clearance insert on the table say, I ripped them to final width. Finally, one edge was veneered to give a finished appearance.

Now comes the tricky bit, cutting them to final length. When I made the circular cutout for the bending forms, I made a matching outside curve template at the same time. Using that template, I made a stacked plywood form to support the curved parts on the saw and mortising jig.

Using the jig on the miter saw allows me to cut each curve safely and precisely.



After cutting each piece to final size, I attached the curved jig to my mortising jig to support the curved skirts. A couple clamps and I'm ready to mortise.



Once that's done, the skirts are ready to for assembly. Because of all the hard to reach places on this project, I made sure to sand all the parts before assembly, leaving only a little touch up sanding to do before finishing.

No comments: