Friday, May 1, 2009

Half-Lap Joints

This end table project called for a pair of spreaders, positioned in a cross formation between the four legs. This sub-assembly was made using a half-lap joint. This joint is simple in design, plus strong and stable, as long as it is made to fit tightly. It can be made a number of ways, including using a router, hand saws and chisels. But for speed and easy, I prefer to use my radial arm saw (RAS.)

The set up is simple. I raise the saw so it will cut only half way through the thickness of the board, then position stop blocks to the left and right of the blade. The stop blocks will determine the the width of the slot to be cut. Then I just nibble away the wood make multiple passes with the RAS and sliding the board between cuts until I have a wide slot. (Of course, all this set up is carefully checked and registered on scrap lumber first.)



If I have a large number of joints to make, I might install a dado blade on the RAS, but since I only need two joints (4 individual parts) this method requires less set up time.

Both parts of the joint are prepared identically, then glued and clamped together. It's an elegant and simple joint.

No comments: