Thursday, January 15, 2009

Secret to a seamless side panel

On my current project I need to make several cabinets 108" tall whose side panels are exposed. Since plywood only comes in 96" sheets, how do I make these cabinets?

Well, the solution is partly in the design, and partly technique. In this case, the design calls for a two tired design. This requires a fixed shelf between the upper and lower parts of the cabinet. Here's what the finished cabinet will look like.



Here's the right hand cabinet exploded. As you can see, the end panel is made up of three layers. The inside layer is 1/2" plywood with an offset seam positioned where it will be hidden by the fixed shelf. The next layer is 1/4" plywood with the seam offset toward the bottom. Having these seams at opposite ends of the panel allows each long piece to reinforce the joint behind it, making for a strong single board. Finally, the outside of the panel is covered in real wood veneer, which comes up to 12' long.


To make this panel, I cut all the pieces 1/4" too big and glue it all together in the vacuum bag. After it's cured I cut it down to final size and I'm ready for assembly. The face frames are solid wood, which I can get up to 24' long (depending on species). The back panel also get's spliced at the fixed shelf. Neat, easy and simple.

No comments: