Friday, October 17, 2008

Kitchen Update

Its been a while since I blogged, I've been very busy both with work and in my personal life. So, to catch things up a bit, here are some before and after pictures of the cherry kitchen I helped update a couple months ago.

The goal was to add a range hood, and a few other details to update the kitchen without doing a complete remodel. The first thing was to remove this microwave and cabinet and replace them with a custom vent hood. This is the curved panel I was working on. I also modified the base cabinet to accept the new professional style cooktop.



Since we removed the microwave, we needed to put a new one somewhere. Here I built a custom cabinet with apothecary drawers to house the space-saver unit.




I also made custom mullion inserts for the glass doors to give them an updated feel.



In addition I updated the peninsula wall, but I forgot to take pictures, duh! Obviously the appliances and counters were updated, a tile back splash was added and the wall were painted. Custom made under-cabinet molding was also added to help tie together the existing cabinets and the new range hood. All the hinges and hardware were also updated from the old brass to an antiqued bronze.

From the before pictures you can see the cabinets were high quality, but the design lacked style and creativity. The wall color detracted from the cabinetry as well. By adding a few new details, this whole kitchen looks brand new and stylish for a fraction of the cost of remodeling.

No comments: