Monday, January 4, 2010

Curved Vanity Design

This is a vanity cabinet I designed. I don't know if it will ever get built, I'd love to do it, but just not sure when it would happen.

Its 36" wide, 21" deep, with drawers set to the right (of course it could be flipped). Its 34.5" tall, giving a 36" counter height, which is much nicer for bending down to wash your face than the standard 30" height of a normal vanity.

The design necessitates offsetting the sink to the left, which I see as an advantage, since it creates a large, single counter area on the right, instead of two small areas on either side of the sink. If a vessel style sink were used, the available counter space would increase even more.



The draw boxes and fronts are curved to match the face frame. By mounting full-extension drawer glides in a stacked configuration on the long, straight side, the drawers are made stable and open normally.



I won't claim this curved drawer design has never been done before, I will say I have never seen or heard of such an design, so it is at least original to me. I struggled with it for awhile. I knew I wanted the open end of the cabinet curved, and it is normal to see such a design use a curved door. However, if a bathroom were configured with a toilet or tub or shower close to the open end of this cabinet (as would be very normal for most bathrooms) its unlikely there would be enough room to allow a curved door to open properly. So drawers were the obvious choice.

How to mount the drawers then became the issue. The normal method of undermount glides or one glide on each side of the drawer box would not work because of the curved design. So I adapted the stacked full-extension glide (FEG) system I've used on pull-out spice and can racks, it might be a bit heavy duty for a bathroom drawer, but it solves the problem until someone makes a light weight FEG.

No comments: