Friday, July 11, 2008

Forming the curved panels, step 2

The next step in making the panels is to skin both faces with veneers. These two additional layers will add more rigidity to the panels and take out the spring back. However there's a problem: 3/8 bending plywood has a very course surface, and thin veneer applied under vacuum pressure will conform to that surface. The solution: 2-ply veneer.

2-ply veneer is just what is sound like, 2 layers of veneer glued together, sometimes called Wood-on-wood (WOW). WOW veneers can be purchased in large sheets, but for now, I'm going to make a set of four 2-ply veneers to use with our two curved panels.

I will use the same backer veneer as before. First I cut all the sheets to length.



Next is to lay out the pieces for each face and tape them together.



These veneers won't be visible on the final piece, but its still good practice for taping technique. Start by taping each seam with painter tape on the back side. First apply short cross strips every few inches, then on long strip to cover the whole seam. Press the tape down firmly.



Then flip the sheet over and apply veneer tape to each seam. Veneer tape is a thin paper tape with water-activated glue on one side. wet the glue with a sponge and apply the tape along each seam. the paper will shrink as it dries helping to pull the seam tight. If this were a critical seam I would start with cross strips, but for these sheets I'm not concerned.



I set each sheet aside to dry while I finish the rest. Then go back and remove the painters tape from the back side.

Using a roller I spread glue on the back of one sheet and lay a second on top of it turning the grain perpendicular to the first sheet. I stacked each of the 4 veneers pairs on my platen, with wax paper between the layers and a top platen to keep things flat while I glue the next pair (the glued veneers tend to curl so they need to be weighted down.)

Once all four are ready, they go into the press for 4 -6 hours to cure.

No comments: