Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The Future

Freeland Custom Woodworking turns five this month. July is the anniversary of my trip to Mobile, AL where I traded 10 days of work installing my former employer's kitchen for all the tools she had. That was one of the hottest jobs I ever endured.

From then on, I've been on my own, and it has been an interesting journey. I began as a cabinet installer, specializing in whatever I could get because I needed the work. As a result I learned a bit of everything.

Now, five years later, I've begun to specialize, which is a nice way of saying "taking a big risk." Do whatever I could to keep working only leads to more of the same: enough work and just enough pay, and little respect for one's talents. Having the courage to turn down the work that doesn't fit the profile of what I want to do means lean times, but it will eventually mean more and better work.

My specialty is custom cabinetry and architectural trim, and the odd bit of furniture here and there. My goal is the upper stratosphere. I'm not interested run of the mill woodwork, I'm interested in museum quality work. The highest level.

But, like most things, talent isn't enough. A market is key, and there is one, but getting it to notice me is a problem that will take some time to solve. Marketing and networking are the only ways to do that.

The other problems are tools and space. The space I have to work is very limited, a 2 car garage. The tools set I have is also limited. I know a true craftsman can make great things with few tools... but that assume he either has unlimited time or free rent. I have neither, I have bills to pay and a business to run. So tools are paramount.

To that end I have just submitted a grant proposal to the National Association for the Self-Employed (NASE) of which I'm a member. Last year they awarded me a grant for a new trailer, signage and a website, which helped to kick off my new marketing.

This year I'm seeking a grant for tools. Specific tools which will allow me to offer services my competitors don't. I should hear back within the next month.

No comments: